NC State provides great support to its students through the Pack Essentials program and the Feed the Pack food pantry. A high percentage of the students who use these services are connected to the College of Engineering. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic has only increased the need for this kind of support. In addition, for many students, asking for help is extremely difficult — particularly if they think their peers might find out about their situation.
The Women and Minority Engineering Programs Resource Bank will be a resource students can use to obtain food, basic personal hygiene items, common household goods (e.g., sheets and towels) and academic supplies (like notebooks, engineering graph paper, calculators, etc.) while remaining anonymous. The space that will house the resource bank is in an academic building co-located with the WMEP student lounge, near staff offices. Thus, students will be able to access the room through WMEP staff on evenings and weekends.
WMEP staff will monitor and work with students if their needs exceed what is available through the WMEP Student Resource Bank. For example, if a student has not eaten for multiple days, we will provide immediate assistance and work with other programs at NC State to help provide long-term support to the student in need.
Why support the WMEP Student Resource Bank? So you can help us do the following:
- Help ensure that students have their basic needs covered, so they can focus on academic success.
- Strengthen the sense of caring and community within the College of Engineering, especially for students who may be at risk.
- Provide easy, immediate access to simple necessities in a way that enables students to maintain their dignity.
- Ensure that all students feel seen and respected as human beings.
No gift is too small! With your help we can help students pursue their passion for engineering.
- $5 buys a case of water.
- $10 buys four protein shakes.
- $26.65 buys a meal card for one day of meals on campus.
- $13 buys a set of towels.
- $10 buys a set of twin sheets.
- $12 buys a scientific calculator.
- $12 buys a pad of engineering paper (the green stuff!).
- $3 buys a pack of college-ruled notebook paper.
- $10 buys a mechanical pencil plus lead.
Funds will be placed in the Women and Minority Engineering Programs Fund. If the project does not meet its fundraising goal, exceeds the project need, or the project cannot be completed, the funds will be used for the overall enhancement of the Women and Minority Engineering Program Student Resource Bank. Gifts are received by the NC State University Foundation, Inc. and may be distributed to an affiliated foundation that manages the fund supported by the donor.